- FOSTECT is an unit belonging to Ton Duc Thang University, a non-profit organization which has separate legal status, its own organizational seal and own account, with its head office at Ton Duc Thang University and with authority to establish accounts at commercial banks or State Treasury according to the law.
- Its head office is located at Ton Duc Thang University, 19 Nguyen Huu Tho Street, Tan Phong Ward, District 7, Ho Chi Minh City. Phone number: 028 37 755 037; Fax: 028 37 755 055.
- FOSTECT organizes and undertakes all activities relevant to sponsoring, supporting and promoting research development, conducts applied science and technology, develops the potential of science and technology of the University to strengthen the scientific reputation of the University, contributing to the development of science and technology to support the development of the Vietnamese society, education and economy.
- FOSTECT is authorized to receive and manage its capital according to regulations; to implement effective and purposeful use of financial resources; to conduct activities to attract sponsors and develop capital that are adaptable to Vietnamese law; and to communicate with domestic and international individuals and organizations in order to promote sponsorship to implement scientific technological projects and activities of capital development according to Vietnamese law and the University’s rules and regulations.
Differentiation in Science and Technology of Ton Duc Thang University (TDTU) in Vietnam
Taking action to implement the mission to become one of the region’s top research universities, Ton Duc Thang University has established both science and technology as strategic objectives. For many years, the University has invested significantly in scientific research. Utilizing European and American standards, Ton Duc Thang University has made impressive contributions in science and technology in a short time, as follows:
- Establishing Research Groups: The University has established more than 50 research groups. At TDTU, a research group is an official unit of the University;
- Excellent Classification of Academic Rank and Titles Prioritizing Research: These include Researcher, Research Lecturer and Lecturer. Academic responsibilities have been established and implemented so that Researchers are people who work fulltime in doing scientific research with results that are published in international scientific journals. Research Lecturers are people who conduct both research and lecture at the fixed rate (no less than 30% time conducting research);
- Policy of Equity between Academic Research Work and Classroom Work performed by Lecturers: Prioritizing international scientific publishing, the University has a clear policy regarding substitution of the lecturers’ research results for classroom lecture work. In compliance with the policy, lecturers who have significantly published in reliable scientific forums would not be required to conduct classroom lectures at the University; For example, a lecturer who has published a paper in an ISI journal would not be expected to teach in the classroom and would be comparably paid;
- Excellent Criteria to Evaluate International Scientific Publications: The University has issued its own criteria to evaluate scientific publications in international scientific forums based on references from many reliable experts from around the world;
- Organizing and hosting International Scientific Conferences: The University frequently holds international scientific conferences including many of the very best speakers and experts from around the world;
- Accounts to Access International Data of Science: The University provides all of its units which participate in lecturing and research with accounts in order to access international journals of science publishers from around the world. Ton Duc Thang academics have access to the newest research results in the world at Ton Duc Thang University;
- Focusing on Applied Research Development beside Basic Scientific Research: the objective of TDTU is to strongly support applied research. Filing patents at the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) for TDTU's applied research outcomes is one of the priorities of the University. In addition, research solving daily life problems is always of interest (e.g. the success of floating house built at Chau Phu District, An Giang Province);
- Journal Club: There is a Journal Club for each faculty according to the European and American model, in which people present and discuss the newest research results of specific topics;
- International Collaboration in Scientific Research: TDTU has been developing the partnership in scientific research with foreign universities such as: University of Salento, Technology Lunghwa University, Technical University of Ostrava, SEOUL University, Pongkyong University…;
- Team of Leading Experts: TDTU has fund to invite leading experts in or outside of Vietnam to the University for both teaching and doing research.
These policies and criteria contribute to the scientific research achievement of Ton Duc Thang University, meeting international standards as our young University competes with other universities. In recent years both the number and quality of Ton Duc Thang University's research outcomes have been increased.
In order to continue to maintain and strengthen its contributions to science and technology, the University established the Foundation for Science and Technology Development of Ton Duc Thang University, attracting many financial resources to invest in Ton Duc Thang's scientific and technological activities.